TRADEMARK REGISTRATION IN THE USA
If you want to do business in the USA, you need to register your trademark in this country. What you need to know about the trademark registration in the US and how to implement it quickly — the SION Patent Law Company experts will tell you.
In order to apply for a trademark registration in the US, you do not need to become a resident of this country. Everyone can submit it to the appropriate department, the US Patent and Trademark Office.
The term for application consideration and registration is up to 1.5 years. The registration period is 10 years with the possibility of extending for the same period unlimited number of times.
Keep in mind that once you receive the registration, you will definitely need to use this trademark for all products and / or services for which the sign was registered. Otherwise, after 5 years, it will be necessary to show valid reasons for not using the trademark.
TRADEMARK REGISTRATION FEATURES IN THE USA
When submitting an application for TM registration, you will need to indicate one of the reasons:
- Commercial use, if you have already used this trademark in the United States
- Intention to use. The application is filled before the actual commercial trademark use in the US
- Foreign application (based on the Paris Convention), an application for the same sign for the same goods and / or services that have already been filled out in another country party to the Paris Convention
- Foreign registration, an identical brand for the same goods and / or services is already registered in another country
- International registration (based on the Madrid Agreement), registration in several countries, including the USA
TRADEMARK REGISTRATION PROCESS IN THE USA
- The choice of the trademark format and goods / services that will be carried out under this sign format
- Search for similar and identical brands
- Drawing up and submitting an application for registration
- Checking the TM uniqueness (within 30 days the application can be challenged)
- Registration certificate issuance (if the trademark has already been used) or a decision to issue registration (if there is only an intention to use the trademark). In the second case, within 6 months you will need to show a confirmation of the TM actual use and then you will receive a trademark registration certificate in the United States
The process of registering a trademark in the USA is quite lengthy and troublesome, therefore it is better to entrust it to professionals. If you are thinking about registering a trademark in the US, contact SION.